Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sham Shui Po shopping and window shopping


A cluster of inflatable toys make for a surreal sight 

On the same day that I posted about eating to my heart's content in Sham Shui Po, the friend that I had invited to head there with me posted her own impressions on her blog about our Sunday Sham Shui Po expedition.  In her blog entry, she talked about my loving going to that area for its "good shopping deals" -- and it's true enough that I do some shopping there, in particular for cargo pants (on Ki Lung Street) and Hello Kitty items (on Fuk Wing Street)!

However, more often than not, I am happy to gawp and window shop in the area -- particularly on the "Toy Street" section of Fuk Wing Street, where Hello Kitty items abound but other kawaii items too, like the Despicable Me Minions that appear to be the current flavor of the month, can be found. And ditto re all manner of lanterns this time of the year in anticipation of the upcoming Mid-Autumn Festival.

Another Sham Shui Po shopping/market street whose wares I find fascinating is Apliu Street. An electronics market with bona fide stores but also stalls that are on the flea market or even "thieves market" end, it's the kind of place -- like the Wan Chai Computer Centre -- where I frequently see things I didn't even know existed, never mind were for sale at bargain prices!

Speaking of bargain -- heck, knock down prices -- a few months back, as I was walking on Apliu Street, I came across a 4 megapixel brand name camera that was selling for HK$40 (~U$5.16).  Granted that that camera was probably second hand but it still got me wondering what price my beloved 1.5 Megapixel Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ2?!

And while there are people who will say that I should replace this old -- and it is indeed some 5 years old now -- camera, I'm planning on hanging on to it since -- touch wood -- it still is working fine for the most part!  Granted that there are better -- in terms of being more powerful, etc. -- cameras around but, heck, don't you think that the photos I can take with it still look pretty okay? :b

2 comments:

Goodbye HK, Hello YVR said...

HI YTSL!

Just keep using your camera until it breaks down! I would have kept using mine if I hadn't dropped it!

YTSL said...

Hi The Fragrant Harbour --

Well, you know me -- I plan to do that with my camera, my watches, my mobile phone, etc.! ;b