Saturday, June 28, 2014

Skies and Portrait (This week's Photo Hunt themes)


Portrait and landscape orientations of rectangular paper are well named.  Think about it: how many landscape shots do you take that are vertical (i.e., portrait) oriented rather than horizontal (i.e., landscape) or, alternatively, landscape (as opposed to portrait)-oriented photos with one specific person in them?

This is something I definitely noticed when looking for portrait-oriented shots where the skies prominently features for Sandi's and Gattina's Photo Hunts this week. Still, I think I've found three nice as well as very different photos where beautiful skies are visible: the first, through a canyon of Hong Kong's concrete jungle; the second a more serene -- or, at least, calmer and less cluttered -- looking shot that takes in the three elements of land and sea along as well as sky; and the third taken in a part of Hong Kong which can seem more like tropical idyll than "Asia's World City".

Looking some more at the skies in the photos: I often get happiest at the sight of bright blue skies because I associate them with days of high visibility and less air pollution.  But it's also true enough that other bits of color in the skies can make me happier too -- so long as those colors are not dirty grey! ;b 

13 comments:

magiceye said...

Loved your take!

Susan Demeter said...

Clever take on the themes my friend :)

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, three very cool photos and creative take. I love the clouds in your last photo.

Have a wonderful weekend.

YTSL said...

Hi magiceye --

Thanks!

Hi Sue --

Glad you think so. :)

Hi Trekcapri --

Usually, it's the clouds that get me taking sky portraits... ;)

Gattina said...

What a good idea to combine the 2 themes!
Our holidays are wonderful but I have no torquayime to comment

Anonymous said...


Great shots for this week's theme.

Have a super weekend.

Una said...

I love the second picture with the airplane in it :) great pictures :)

YTSL said...

Hi Gattina --

Sorry, I have no idea what "torquaytime" means! But thanks for dropping by despite your being on holiday! :)

Hi JDeQ --

Thanks, and happy weekend to you too!

Hi Una --

I took that photo a while back. Am glad I had a reason to finally put it up on this blog. :)

peppylady (Dora) said...

I've more picture Hong Kong as concrete jungle. But since I stop in and visit during the photo hunt. I have a different look on Hong Kong. Enjoy it when you share the hiking trails. Any nice take on today there

Coffee is on

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

Am glad I can give you different views of Hong Kong -- and thanks for telling me you like my hiking photo-essays. :)

Carver said...

Very interesting take on the themes. I haven't thought about that but you're so right about the names for the different orientation and these shots are very beautiful. I hadn't looked at the themes since I'm not participating but you're right, my sky watch could have doubled for the hunt. I hope you're having a good weekend.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Here is the answer to your question that you ask on my blog...
We get about 90 inches of moister between rain and snow. The wettest months are June and October.

YTSL said...

Hi Carver --

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting despite your no longer taking part in Photo Hunt. I miss seeing your entries -- and appreciated that you were one of those Photo Hunters that really did make a point to visit other Photo Hunters' blogs and leave comments.

Hi again peppylady --

Thanks for returning to answer the question I posed over on your blog. 90 inches of rain a rain -- wow, I thought only tropical parts of the world had that! :O