Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Happy 59th birthday, Malaysia!

View of Kedah Peak (AKA Gunung Jerai) from Penang Island

The Malaysian flag flying in the wind at Air Itam Dam

Happy 59th birthday, Malaysia!  Here's wishing that life in this multi-ethnic, multi-lingual, multi-religious, multi-cultural nation in the year ahead will be as peaceful and tranquil as the photos at the top of this blog post look.  

And yes, just because I've spent many years outside of your borders doesn't mean that I don't care for what goes on within it.  (After all, my parents have been living there all their lives, among other things.)

Also, as the proverbial "they" say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.  And it's true enough that I've thoroughly enjoyed my trips back in recent years; with lots of time spent catching up with family members and friends as well as just gorging myself silly on lots of delicious food, halal and otherwise

On a jokey -- but nonetheless true -- note: years ago when I lived in Philadelphia, an American friend and I were walking past a residence hall at the University of Pennsylvania when something hanging in a window caught his eye.  Pointing it out to me, he proceeded to tell me that "There's something wrong with that American flag"; whereby I had to tell him that "Actually, that's a Malaysian flag"! ;D

No comments: